12.12.2016

if you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soup



I think we just had the coziest weekend ever. Last week was so awful for all of us that James took Friday off, and by nothing short of a miracle, he didn't have to go to work Saturday. A three day weekend! After a week of his 14 hour days, just having another person around to change diapers and cut up food for the baby felt like a tropical vacation. Despite the extra help, I was a bundle of anxiety on Friday. I didn't move from my spot on the couch until I got the phone call I've been waiting for. My mom has been going through a terrifying health scare, and while she's not out of the woods yet, we can all breath easy for now. I'm so relieved I can't even tell you.

We had a mostly picture-perfect December weekend. We hibernated since it was cold and snowy. Snowy! We only have about an inch of snow, but it's been flurrying for days. From my perch on the couch, I can see the Christmas tree, snow falling outside, and the fireplace. There is nothing that could make me happier other than a chocolate cake somewhere in view. James has been keeping the fire going all weekend, and we've been having a Christmas movie marathon. The house we almost bought last week doesn't have a fireplace, and after spending the weekend by the fire, I am more convinced than ever that I can't live without a wood burning fireplace. I made homemade tomato soup in the crockpot, and we made grilled cheddar and gruyere sandwiches on sourdough. It goes down as one of my favorite meals of all time. We wrapped presents, cleaned the house, and I finished up my Christmas shopping. Each evening when Gracie went to bed, James and I snacked on junk food and watched season two of Fuller House. I can't begin to tell you how desperately we needed this weekend. And how desperate I was to find out if DJ chose Matt or Steve.

Things did, however, take a turn Saturday night. I was possessed by something, because I was clumsier on Saturday than I have ever been in my life. I dropped everything I touched. Literally everything, from sippy cups up to and including my food processor. The more I tried to be careful, the clumsier I became. Saturday evening, I stubbed my toe twice and banged my arm on the refrigerator door. My contact also managed to spontaneously rip while still in my eyeball. I scratched my eye while trying to fish it out, and its been watering incessantly and hurting ever since. The worst of all was when I spilled a ladle full of boiling soup on my hand. I knew instantly that it was going to be a bad burn. No matter how much lidocaine I put on it, it just seemed to make it angrier. I spent the evening and the entire night rotating bags of frozen vegetables and ice packs on finger. As I went to refill the ice pack for the second time, I realized that our ice maker broke. My middle finger is down for the count, which is unfortunate because that's exactly what I would like to give that ladle of soup...AND the ice maker. The pain was unbearable for hours, but the good news is that it got me out of doing the dishes. I spent the entire night not sleeping, because as soon as I would start to fall asleep, the frozen washcloth/ice pack/frozen green beans would warm up, and my finger would start burning again. I woke up with a blister the size of Texas covering a nice chunk of my finger. In a cruel twist of fate, I spilled my hot tea that morning. It landed right on top of my blister, because of course it did. That's the reason you'll find me pulling another batch of eggnog cookies out of the oven in approximately 1 hour.

From now on, I'm hoping all future burns will take place in our fireplace.

10 comments:

  1. AGH, what a bittersweet post. So glad to hear your mom is doing well- there's nothing scarier than waiting for news that could go either way. My doctor's office called me last week to confirm an appointment and I didn't pick up because I was nervous. AND I KNEW WHAT THEY WERE CALLING ABOUT.

    Please start wearing ove-gloves while you're cooking. I'M CONCERNED FOR YOUR HANDS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three day weekends are the best. Especially if they're relaxing and wonderful and are accompanied by good news. Hopefully your mom is okay!

    I'm sorry about your Saturday night. Seems like the universe was telling you to put some oven mitts on and sit on the couch without moving.

    Fireplaces are the BEST. I'm a gas person, though, because it's idiot proof and I feel like I would burn our house down with a real one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. I'm glad *most* of your weekend went well...and dude, soup burns are the absolute worst. Especially tomato soup, because it's thick and just sits on your hand instead of running off. I dumped scalding hot tomato soup on my hand once, one of those single-serve Campbells soup cup things, right as I was about to go into a work training. Isaiah actually had to leave his job to bring me burn spray, that's how miserable I was, and I couldn't even focus on the training the rest of the day because my hand burned so badly. Absolutely the worst. I hope your hand is feeling better now!

    We started season 2 of Fuller House this weekend, too! I think I'm team Steve, because nostalgia always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally forgot the second season of Fuller House was released!
    I'm glad things are a little better with your mom. Family health scares are my biggest fear :( I'll be praying for her!
    Gah. Burns suck. I keep an aloe plant in my kitchen because I burn myself once a week (but not to the degree you did)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, that sounds awful! The finger-burning part, not the rest. The first part of the weekend sounds lovely! That was supposed to be what our weekend was like (the good part), but we all came down with a stomach bug on Sunday and laid around feeling sick. :-( Not the best way to spend a pre-Christmas weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, we are like clutz twins! 😂 I am completely unaware of my body in relation to the space around it.
    Other than the physically harming yourself, the rest of the weekend sounds amazing. I love snow because it is like a forced slow down time. Things get canceled, roads can't be travelled. You can just stare out the window and watch it fall. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! So am I! I'm a walking disaster at all times. I agree 100% about the snow! It's so nice to just snuggle up at home and relax :)

      Delete
  7. Ouch! OH my goodness, girl! I hope it heals soon- burns with blisters are seriously awful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BURNS ARE THE WORST. It's like your skin just screams at you for days WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME and it is most definitely middle finger worthy.

    I'm right there with you about normal weekends off feeling like a tropical vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Burns from scalding are so bad! I've heard too many horrifying tales of what hot water can do from Angel's years in the burn unit that I am really, really careful in the kitchen. And usually anything that involves carrying a heavy crockpot or a huge pot of boiled water across the kitchen to strain out, I have Angel do it, since I trust his upper body strength and coordination better than mine. So glad you guys had a cozy, relaxing weekend! I'm really looking forward to one of those, we're so close I can taste it! (Angel gets a week off work after Christmas woohoo!!!) Lucky man.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.