9.07.2017

from the week, vol. 2

Oh man, the past few weeks. I got zero sleep one night (literally zero minutes of sleep), and I was on the verge of crying about it the next morning when James called to tell me he had a flat tire. It turned into another expensive car repair fiasco with the tow truck driver banging on the door for the car keys, which I couldn't find in my sleep-deprived stupor. Our next door neighbors moved out after loudly packing and vacuuming in the middle of the night last week, and ever since people have been POUNDING on the walls and floors for 12 hours a day all week. Major headaches. Naps and bedtime have been anything but peaceful, and Gracie put a large hole in the bathroom wall. Woof.

Thankfully, other things have happened too.

1. We went hiking one Saturday morning on a nearby trail. It was really fun and Gracie did so well. I crept out into the water, slipped on a rock, and fell into the water in a very dramatic fashion. I was so stunned I didn't move for at least 10 seconds until a nice woman walked over to help pull me out. It was not my finest moment and I've got a few nice bruises, but it was worth it. Next time I'll stay safely on the bank. I can't wait to go back next month when the leaves are changing.



2. We might have found It Takes Two on Hulu one afternoon and watched it. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and it's just as magnificent today as it was in the 90s. Kirstie Alley was in her glory days! I want to rewatch all the old Mary Kate and Ashley movies now. Passport to Paris and Billboard Dad were my favorites. And How the West Was Fun. Basically all of them.

3. We went on a very rare date night last weekend. The funny thing is, we got into an argument the day before trying to decide what we should do. That should tell you how much we needed that date. The remnants of Hurricane Harvey spiraled on top of us all day, and it was pouring so we had to change plans. We went to a pub nearby for dinner that we've been wanting to try for years. Oh my heavens--it was SO GOOD. The food was fantastic, and the tables had a jar of trivia cards on them. We quizzed each other while waiting for our food. We went to a couple bookstores and sat by the fire in a coffeeshop and drank hot apple cider while it rained. Correction, I drank CHAIDER. A combo of chai and cider. It was just as fantastic as the wordplay. The barista explained it to me by calling it a "chaibryid" of chai and cider, and I almost asked her to be my best friend. I love a good pun.

One of the best parts was that it was 59 degrees and raining. I wore jeans and long sleeves for the first time in months. I danced down the brick sidewalk of German Village with my umbrella. FALL IS COMING. The other best part is that we grabbed donuts on the way home. We needed that evening desperately, and I'm so thankful for it.



4. I KNOW hurricanes are devastating forces of nature. I'm praying fervently for people recovering from Harvey and in the path of Irma. I would never wish that kind of destruction on anyone. However, the weather nerd in me is FREAKING OUT right now.

4.5 Speaking of hurricanes and the entire western US being on fire right now, I had a crazy dream about them that meshed the two together. I was in Florida with my family, but instead of prepping for a hurricane we were trying to evacuate since huge forest fires were coming. There was one across a lake from us, and even though the buildings weren't on fire, they were smoking already. I was having a full-fledged panic attack about the need to evacuate, and my mom looked at me and said verbatim "Here Michelle, eat this pumpkin spice yogurt and calm down." It may have been a dream, but I'm going to take that advice to heart.

5. My Gracie girl has STRONG opinions about her clothes. Getting her dressed in the morning is a battle I dread. I usually let her pick her own outfits out unless we're going to church or something like that. The Minnie Mouse shirt I bought her a few weeks ago has become the bane of my existence, and I don't know why I've bothered to buy her any other clothes. She wants to wear it all day and sleep in it at night. Heaven forbid I need to wash it! It's taken the place of the red hat obsession (which she still loves but doesn't wear every day). It looks like she'll be wearing this shirt for approximately 9 months, if the past tells us anything.

She pulled the bonnet out of her dresser and I was so excited. It was a 2nd birthday present, but she was so engrossed with the red hat she didn't care until recently. Then she asked to hold the corn at the grocery store, and Little House on the Prairie collided with 2017, and all my dreams came true.




And then as soon as we got home, she demanded to wear her watermelon swimsuit. Maybe I should've given her a pumpkin spice yogurt and told her to calm down.

16 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! Can we please have a MK & Ashley marathon?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That date night sounds incredible! We've had a taste of more time without children lately with each other and all I can say is YES PLEASE. And ours didn't even have doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you guys got out on a hike AND a date night! I am and will always be pro-hiking, especially in such a pretty location. At least falling in the water gave you a good story to tell, but I would have probably had a meltdown. I hate being unexpectedly wet (I'm a total peach when I'm caught in a rain storm).

    It's terrible, but I didn't even know about the fires on the west coast until my mom told me that she went outside the other day and couldn't figure out why it was so hazy and her car was covered in ash/dust until she remembered that basically the entire state is on fire. I remember when I was a kid I would have KILLED for 80-90 degree weather in the summer, and it felt like it barely ever broke 70. Now it's 90+ regularly and there are fires constantly. GLOBAL WARMING, amiright? j/k, j/k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you are pro hiking you should come to Ohio and we will all go hiking out at the caves around here 😃

      Delete
  4. The fires are out of control! My aunt and uncle's house almost went up in flames on Tuesday from a wildfire. It was east of their house a few miles up on the mountainside. But the wind coming out of the canyon was at about 40 MPH and it jumped TWO highways and the RIVER, turned around and came back from the west. My aunt didn't even know until someone was pounding on her door saying her yard was on fire!! My uncle had his son come home from high school with a bunch of his friends and neighbors to help fight it. They had a pump from the river attached to the hose and they were able to keep their house safe, but like, all their trees are burnt up and everything. They got so lucky, six houses were lost in this one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trivia, books, and a coffee shop...that sounds like a perfect date night. Chaider?! Sign. Me. Up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, the bonnet. I love it so much. Sounds like such a fun date night! The coffee shop should hire you to write puns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds pretty much like a perfect date night to me. I have to try this chaider!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Billboard Dad is a classic. I used to be able to quote the whole thing. Hahaha.
    I love the new bonnet look for Gracie. Your InstaStory was hilarious about the wagons, hahaha!
    Glad you guys got a date night! It sounded heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for reminding me how amazing the MK&A movies were...and also that it takes two is out there for me to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great date night! And I love that first picture of Gracie! That adorable hat and all the colors! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad y'all got to go on a date night!!!! That sounds so awesome. And the chaider sounds amazing. Have you ever had a dirty chai? It's a mashup of coffee and chai, and it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The corn-holding pioneer is too much. I'm dead.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.