God promised never to flood the earth again, but He didn't promise not to flood my laundry room

I don't even know where to begin.

We moved into our new house on Saturday.

Well, we partially moved in. But more on that later. 

The movers showed up bright and early in the morning and got to work. Things seemed to be going well until James overheard one of them saying they weren't sure how they were going to get everything loaded, driven, and unloaded at the new house in 5 hours. We had been told they would be moving us all day, but apparently they were only scheduled for 5 hours. With an hour drive to the new house, that gave them 4 hours to load all of our earthly belongings into a truck and then unload them. 

Gracie and I holed up in her room upstairs with blankets while everything was carried out of the townhouse in 17 degree weather. It was then that I started hearing the F word screamed over and over and over so loud it was shattering my eardrums. It was 9am on a Saturday, and I'm sure my neighbors did not care to be bothered or awoken in such a state. One of the movers put on a very offensive and profane podcast and paired it with a speaker he put on our front porch. For several reasons, I didn't feel comfortable going downstairs and telling him to turn it off, and James had left to run a quick errand. 

Not much longer, James got a call from the moving company. One of the movers had called and complained that we were "making them" load too many "loose items" that weren't boxed. You know, thinks like a carseat, tower fans, a tricycle, patio furniture, hampers, storage baskets, suitcases. You know. THINGS THAT DON'T FIT IN A BOX. For that reason, they left a lot of things at our townhouse and told us they were leaving for the new house. Once I walked around and realized the large amount of things left behind that, I called the company. Assertive is the very last adjective anyone would ever use to describe me, but you better believe I chewed that man out. He kept saying "Ma'am, I already spoke to your husband" and I firmly said "BUT I HAVE MORE TO SAY AND YOU NEED TO LISTEN." I have never EVER in my life (actually one other time) spoken to a stranger like that. But I did it, and it felt so good and I have no regrets. I was never mean or rude, but I let them know how they wronged us. We've already gone back for multiple carloads of things and still have many left to go. I'm so angry about it I can't even tell you.

James left at the same time as the movers so he could let them in at the new house. I stayed behind to survey the damage and try to wrangle up some food. I got a call an hour later that James realized he couldn't get in the house. We have a different key for every door (we'll fix that eventually) and he had the one key that opens the door from the garage into the house. But no garage door opener. I drove up in a hurry since the movers were waiting on us and already had limited time, and by the time they started unloading it was blizzarding outside. These are only about half the problems we dealt with that day. I haven't even mentioned when I realized I was stranded with no food or falling while carrying boxes and ripping my toenail off and a dozen other sagas. Saturday was not a fun day.

The movers were in such a hurry they piled every box in the kitchen and took off. I'm still trying to dig my way to the kitchen sink. I would've made more progress if yesterday hadn't happened. I thought Saturday was a hard day, but then yesterday came around.

It started so well. I woke up to lingering snow on the ground, literal frosted windowpanes, the Christmas tree, and a gorgeous sunrise through the front window. I felt so positive and ready to keep unpacking.

The internet guy showed up at 8:00 am to set up the internet. I was banking on a 15-20 minute appointment. Instead, within minutes of arriving, he was donning a vest and hardhat and scaling the utility pole out front. He wound up needing to rewire the cable to the house since it was in bad shape and had been done incorrectly. It's the grace of God it took him so long to finish, because when he told me he was leaving out the back door, he suddenly started screaming "YOU'VE GOT WATER! YOU'VE GOT WATER!"

This is still so fresh in my mind that I can hardly write it without wanting to cry. I ran to the laundry room and found inches of standing water. AN ACTUAL FLOOD. IN MY HOUSE. I screamed my head off. It was panic like I've never known before. Aside from fire, a flooded house is my worst nightmare. I knew I would have absolutely no idea what to do. I'm not the person people turn to in an emergency; my fight or flight instinct tells me to run every single time, and I usually listen. Seriously, it was providence that this man was at my house. He said he used to work with appliances and immediately turned the water hookups off, but the water kept gushing. I was about to call the plumber when he told me it wasn't a plumbing issue, but a washer issue. A seal must've broken underneath the washer. That was somewhat of a relief, because don't forget we just dealt with a broken water valve and burst pipe. However, it didn't take away from the fact that my house was flooding. 

At this point, he had to leave and I ran through the house screaming frantically and crying and calling almost every contact in my phone trying to find someone to help. Not one person answered. I'm telling you, I've never known fear like I did in that moment. I had NO IDEA what to do.  The water kept gushing out of the washer and I couldn't stop it. I couldn't find the towels. I found a few and threw them on the floor, but it was like dropping a washcloth in a lake. It just added one more sopping wet item to the floor. I finally opened the back door and swept the water out with a broom. It was in the teens outside and I was barefoot in cold water, but I didn't even notice. I swept water out of the room for an hour and a half. Gracie was crying the entire time, completely confused as to why I was in such hysterics. She ran toward me and slipped and fell in the water and hit her head. I picked her up to comfort her and hit her head again on the wall. It was one of those moments where things just kept going from bad to worse.

I finally got ahold of my parents, and they both helped me calm down and walked me through what to do. The water eventually stopped after dumping out a full load's amount of water, and I put down clothes and set up fans to help dry the floor. To say it was traumatizing would be the understatement of the century. I put the soaking wet towels in the dryer to dry them out, pushed start, and nothing. It made a tiny noise like it was trying to work, but it couldn't. Just like in The Notebook,  the washer and dryer held hands and went out together. I called James and told him we were buying a brand new washer and dryer that night, because I am not risking this happening ever again. He knew better than to disagree with me.

If only I could've rested after that, but Gracie had a pediatrician appointment for her cough that suddenly took a bad turn again. I was so worn out from the morning that I could hardly function, but I loaded the dripping wet towels and blankets (do you know how heavy waterlogged towels are? My goodness) in the back of the car, knocking all the bikes down on the way and scaring myself and screaming so loud the neighbor came by to check on me, and drove an hour to the doctor. Well, first I stopped at our townhouse to wash the towels and then put them in the dryer. We made it to the doctor and were surrounded by croupy kids and kids with the flu, and if we don't get sick from this visit it will be a miracle. The nurse noticed my new address--an hour away--and told me her grandma was my neighbor. She said something about growing up in a different town, and lo and behold not only are we from the same town, we went to the same high school. I had classes with her brother and graduated with her sister. Her dad was my dentist. I HAD NO IDEA SHE EXISTED. We just stared at each other like this is weeeeiiiiirrrddd. After the day I was having, nothing surprised me.

Poor Gracie was diagnosed with a nasty sinus infection. We drove back to the townhouse to grab the towels, but they needed another cycle in the dryer. We had to leave them, which means I've been drying myself off with washcloths after my showers. Once we got back home, James put Gracie to bed and I went to Lowe's to pick out a new washer and dryer. I was fully prepared to buy them on the spot. 

I finally found the worst salesman in the history of Lowe's. I told him my sob story and that I needed a new washer and dryer immediately. He laughed at me and said "you'll be lucky to have them delivered in a week." I reminded him that the website promises next day delivery. He laughed again. "Yeah, we don't actually do that." After the last few terrible days, I burst into tears and walked out of the store. In hindsight, it's a good thing it didn't work out because I had forgotten the coupon. 

So far, nothing has yet to leak or flood or burst today, but you better believe I'm terrified to walk in the kitchen, laundry room, or bathroom. My friend down the street is letting me do laundry at her house until we get a washer and dryer. The house and I have not been getting along since I moved in and I've even had bouts of missing our townhouse. Horrible, I know. I want to run back to the comfort of the maintenance men, but this is a good, as they say, character-building experience. And the more we unpack and work on the house, the more like home it will feel. I hope. 

I wonder if I can convince the internet guy to get a job at Lowe's. I have a feeling he'd give me the hook-up with a washer and dryer.

Pun intended. 


  1. Oh no! I was horrified as I read through this, it sounds so insanely stressful and horrible and I know your words in the post probably can't even fully encapsulate all of the horror. I really hope things get better soon! And that really stinks about Lowe's. We had a similar experience with a store when we were buying a washer and dryer...was it Best Buy or Lowe's? I can't even remember. Basically, they wouldn't be able to deliver to our new house (which we were moving into within a day or two) for about a week and a half. Nope. Thankfully, Home Depot came through for us, but it was mildly stressful at the time.

  2. That's quite a welcome to your new house! Hopefully things can only go up from here!

  3. I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this! Our washer flooded once and it was terrifying and so upsetting. Also, I can't believe Lowe's said that about next day delivery. You should call and complain to them too like with the movers! I hope it starts to feel like home soon!

  4. that is so weird about lowes. we ordered a washer and had it delivered that very day!

  5. Oh friend, I'm so sorry you had such a stressful start to your move! We moved ourselves and had to take a gazillion trips and it was horrible. I would be SO MAD if I paid someone to help and still had to do all that. I've found that since I became a mom I'm much more likely to tell people how I really feel when they do something crappy. One of those mom super powers I guess. It comes out when you need it. :) I promise the place will feel so homey once you start getting things unpacked. I remember feeling panicky when we first moved because our last house felt warm and cozy, and our new one seemed cold and impersonal. It changed quickly though, and now it definitely feels like home. Plus, your people are there with you, and you're getting a new washer and dryer! Bright side?

    1. Thank you, Courtney! This was so helpful to read. It’s been a much harder adjustment than anticipated but hopefully things will start to calm down soon. I think you’re right about mom powers...I really am a lot more bold since having Gracie!

  6. Gosh, between the moving company and the Lowes salesman, the cable guy was a freakin' angel! Ughhh! It'll get better, I'm sure of it ;) We're in need of a new washer, too. It's been making some weiiiird noises... Perhaps we should get rid of it before we have a flood, too!

  7. I'm so sorry moving and settling in has been so hard :( I know I'm late on this but praying for smooth sailing from now on! We had a basement flood last year and it was no fun. Had to have 3 different plumbers come out. And go you for chewing them out. I mean sometimes it just necessary for people to take you seriously! And don't worry, I know you'll have that place feeling like home in no time ❤️ And yay for new appliances!!

    1. Thank you so much! It's been so hard. I hope things ease up soon!


Talk to me! If your email is linked to your account, I'll respond to you via email. If not, I'll respond to you right here.